Monday, January 5, 2009

Forex Hedging Systems - are They Useful?

The objective of hedging a trade is to reduce the potential losses that may otherwise have been incurred without the hedge.

For example, let’s say I go long on the EUR/USD at price 1.4030. The market immediately goes against me an plunges to 1.4010, resulting in an unrealized loss of -20 pips.

In order to hedge against further losses, I enter into a second trade: shorting at 1.4010 (which is the current market price). This way, if prices fall even further, at least I won’t lose any more pips. If prices fall by a further 5 pips, I would lose 5 pips in my initial long position and gain 5 pips in my second short position, netting a total of zero pips.

The Problem With Hedging In This Manner

This form of hedging is very attractive to inexperienced traders who don’t really understand what they’re doing. At first glance, it looks as if hedging can stop a trader from suffering from further losses, while allowing for the potential of the trade to turn around in his favour. And this is the exact manner of thinking that causes many traders to mistakenly enter into hedging trades like the one I just showed you.

Here’s the problem with this method of hedging:

Even if price do turn around in my favour and moves back up to the price of 1.4030, I will still be suffering from an unrealized loss of -20 pips! Why?

Because even though my initial long trade broke even (current market price at 1.4030 is the same price I went long), my second short trade will be suffering from a -20 pip unrealized loss (remember I shorted at 1.4010), netting a total unrealized loss of -20 pips!

[ForexGen Demo Accounts Contest]


Win Cash Prizes

[ForexGen] has the pleasure to announce the launching of the Demo Account contest on the first of every month.

Interested clients who wish to participate in this event shall send an e-mail request on demo.contest@forexgen.com including the following information:

- Full name:
- Phone number


Also provide us with the following identification document:

" Certified copy of the information pages of account holder current valid passport or government issued photo ID"

For more information about our current and future promotions, kindly contact one of our customers support agents at promotions@forexgen.com

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Hello Everybody,

Below is a list of the most recommended FOREX brokers:
1. Best Forex Broker
2. eToro - $50 minimum deposit.

Here is a list of top forex tools:
1. ForexTrendy - Recommended Odds Software.
2. EA Builder - Custom Indicators Autotrading.
3. Fast FX Profit - Secret Forex Strategy.

Hopefully these lists are helpful to you.